This summer salad is light and contains a slew of mediterranean ingredients. Starting with the ancient grain Farro. Farro is from a wheat species that was eaten in ancient Roman times. Like rice you can use it in a side dish, salad or soup. This Whole Foods brand of farro took just 10 minutes to cook and the rest of the recipe is chop and mix!
Ancient Grain Mediterranean Summer Salad
Cook the Farro
- 2 cups farro I used the 10 minute cooking grain from Whole Foods
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth The feta and parmesan in this recipe add alot of saltiness already
Chop the Fresh Ingredients
- 1 cup feta-crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried tomatoes slivered
- 1/2 cup fresh parlsey finely chopped
- 2 whole roasted peppers chopped (I used peppers from a jar)
- 2 whole cucumbers deseeded and chopped (with peel intact)
Make the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil EVOO
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Serve the dressing with the salad or on the side. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 2 C farro in 4 C water ( or chicken broth) for 10 minutes .
- Deseed the cucumber using a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
- Combine all fresh ingredients in a bowl and fold in the cooked farro.
- Serve the Farro salad in a bowl as a side salad or main.