I was delighted to teach a Farm to Table Vegetarian Class a few weeks ago with Sustainable Wine Pairing from Michael Walsh. On the menu was Orange Tahini Kale Citrus Salad. This salad is seasonal and healthy using the zest and juice of organic oranges, bunches of baby kale, sections of tangy grapefruit and chopped sweet apples. Toasted Pepitas add a final nutty crunch.
The wine that was paired with this salad was a delicious New Zealand Wine called the Crossing 2016 Sauvignon Blanc.
- 3 Tbsp orange juice fresh squeezed
- 2.5 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp orange zest from same orange as juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Kale Citrus Salad
- 1 Box baby kale
- 1 whole Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1 whole apple chopped
- 1/2 c pepitas or sunflower seeds toasted
- 1/2 C pepitas raw
- 1 tsp oil olive or canola oil
- Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl starting with 2 Tbsp of orange juice and whisk until fully combined. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Dressing will thicken as it sits. TIP: Add more orange juice if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Place washed and dried baby kale in a bowl. NOTE: If kale is pre washed just place it i a bowl. Pour desired amount of dressing over the kale and lightly massage into kale. Add grapefruit, apples and pepitas or sunflower seeds for garnish.
- Place 1 tsp olive oil or canola oil in a pan over medium low heat. Once hot, add a 1/2 c raw pepitas to the pan for a few pinches of salt and/or pepper. Toast for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, util puffed up and golden brown. Remove from heat, cool and store in sealed container until ready to use.