March is National Nutrition Month where this year we, “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.”
In addition, March is also the month when we celebrate Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day (RDN Day), which just happens to be today! In the past, for me, this day seems to pass without any fan-fare but not this year. Celebrate Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day, we’ve come a long way, with me!
Tonight Philly RDNs, Nutrition Entrepreneurs in PA, Thirty and Under Dietitians and students are gathering to physically celebrate Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day in an exciting workshop entitled, “Savor Your Flavor of Eating Right & Brand You!” We will have interactive workshops on Social Media and Marketing while enjoying fresh and flavorful Mexican Tacos.
White Coats and Pulled-Back Hair
We have come a long way from the white coats, pulled-back hair and dare I say, austere image of the RDN in the hospital acting as the “food police.”
Nutrition science has evolved from the “eat-this-not-that” mentality to personalized nutrition prescriptions and areas where we are just beginning to scratch the surface such as genomics, new medical treatments and environmental issues.
If you would like to read more about the future of nutrition research check out this article, A Look into the Future of Nutrition Research.
Why a Registered Dietition Nutritionist is Your Nutrition Expert
Here are just a few reasons why RDNs are your nutrition experts as stated by, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
The RDN has come a long way with the explosion of social media.
We are getting out there: on Facebook, on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Your RDN today is speaking, writing, running private practices, heading up corporate wellness programs and leading culinary events and food service companies.
With undergraduate training and a dietetic internship, with a Master’s degree the RDN today is well qualified to take the lead in all areas of medical nutrition and wellness.
Today as we celebrate across the nation and even worldwide, we invite you to follow us at #nnm or #nationalnutritionmonth.
Happy Registered Dietitian Day to all of my colleagues!
Questions about this blog?
Proud to offer: Fuel Up Cooking Events, counseling sessions, consulting contracts, leadership workshops, keynote or wellness event for you, your teams or your company.
I look forward to hearing from you! ~ Emma